How To Subscribe
About Jim Pickerell
History of Selling Stock
Jim does individual consulting on issues related to stock photography.
Many consultations can be handled quickly over the phone without the necessity
of face-to-face contact. When appropriate a detailed written report can be provided
The following of some of the issues on which Jim has provided advice and direction.
- Assisting a photographer in negotiating a fee for a specific unique image use.
This type of consultation usually only takes a few minutes over the phone. The fee for
such service (based on time) often is in the range of $20 to $40.
- In more complex negotiations we have acted as the photographer's representative,
and negotiated directly with the customer for a percentage of the license fee.
- We also handle negotiations for some photographer when they are out of the
office, or traveling, and unable to immediately respond to a customer's requests
- Reviewing a photographer's work and advising on the best strategy for finding
representation. Many photographers simply want a list of the best agents, but it is
difficult to recommend a proper fit without seeing some of the photographer's work.
- Assisting a photographer in negotiating a contract with stock photo agency.
- Advising a photographer on the initial steps necessary to begin marketing their
images in the U.S. or worldwide.
- Assisting photographers who already actively market their work in finding
additional marketing outlets.
- Photographer considering working with a new stock agency often contact us for
background information about the company and its business practices.
- Consulting with stock agencies on business trends as they relate to the
specific agency. We have also suggested work flow modifications that might help
the agency move to the next level.
- Evaluating a stock photo business for the purpose of sale.
- Providing an expert valuation in the event of a lost or damaged transparencies.
- Providing an expert opinion on compensation when there has been an unauthorized
use or copyright infringement. (Photographers note: The chances of significant
compensation are much better if the image was registered prior to the infringement.)
- I have provided evaluations of a photographer's file for purposes of a divorce
- In cases of medical mal-practice I have provided an evaluation of a photographer's
future income potential for the purpose of settlement.
- Providing analysis of leading companies in the industry, and the industry as
a whole for people and organizations considering investment in the industry.
- Guidance in estate planning relating to the value an image file, and placing
a value on such files for estate tax purposes.
The current fee for any of these services is $350 per hour. I charge for actual
time with no minimum. (In phone consultations, the caller must initiate the phone
call so the charges are made to his/her number. Payment for these service can be made
with Visa, Master Card or American Express. I will also bill for services, if the
client is someone with whom I have had a continuing relationship. Otherwise, payment
must be made at the time of consultation.
For more information contact Jim at 301-251-0720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.